Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Flowers in pots, seeds in bags

What's nice is that I'm now past the settling-in phase of moving to a new town, and am now reaching out and discovering all the great places that Tacoma has to offer. One of these is Gardensphere. It's not just a garden supply store, it also has stuff for urban chicken keeping! We splurged on a galvanized metal chicken drinker for the ladies, since they've been drinking water out of a large Tupperware container since we moved here. They sell chicks too, so I can get my peeper fix.

When I was there I needed potting soil, and I found out that Tacoma makes its own subsidized potting soil called Tagro. Cool, huh? Seattle makes potting soil and compost too (Cedar Grove) and I really liked buying it, so I'm glad I can get stuff here too which is made from the city's waste products. Reduce, reuse, recycle, y'all.

As I stated in an earlier post, I want to add more flowers to the garden to attract more beneficial insects. I don't know if this really counts, but, I bought this Hummingbird Mint (also known as Anise Hyssop) to work towards that end. I'm sure bees will like it too. It's a perennial, so I figure it will anchor this pot and I can plant other things in with it every year. For its first iteration, I added in some basil and curly parsley. I put it outside the picket fence, technically in the driveway but near the gate, because there's good sun exposure there and I don't want the chickens to jump in it and mess everything up. They are drawn to freshly turned soil like magnets! I also bought a bag of this seed mix stuff, a mixture of bee-attracting flower seeds, mulch, and fertilizer, and sprinkled it in a few places throughout the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment