Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Front Yard Pictures

There's actually been some respite from the endless gray clouds and rain lately. Yesterday there was a bit of sun in the afternoon, and today has dawned quite sunny (for Tacoma), so I'm feeling some hope that spring may eventually come. And that is getting me very excited for gardening!

I took a few photos of the front yard yesterday, with some cameos from the chickens. Though the garden bed is little more than bare dirt at this point, I look at it and see it filled with green, growing, edible things!

As well as adding plants, we will need to make sure that we integrate the chickens properly into the garden. We let the chickens into the front yard in the afternoons, when we're home to keep an eye on them. The rest of the time, they hang out in their run, which is accessed through that lime green gate in the last picture. But when they are up front, we need to make sure they aren't scratching up plants, eating them down to nubbins, or pooping all over them. At first, I believe we will just add one of those little wire fences along the inner perimeter of the garden beds so that the plants can become established, but I do want to make it mostly chicken-accessible in the long run. To that end, I have been reading this book:

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to attending Seattle Tilth's March Edible Plant Sale and buying my first perennial, edible babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment