Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Applesauce

We harvested all the apples off our little tree, and I used most of them to make up a batch of applesauce.

I wish I knew what kind of apples these are. They are crisp and tart-sweet, and we are guessing something like Pink Lady, Fuji, or Gala. But I have no idea how to find out!

Making and canning applesauce is easy yet time-consuming. You peel, quarter, and core all the apples, cook them down, purée them, and add lemon juice, sugar, and spices if you like. This all takes a long time. Also, I only have one big pot, so I had to make the applesauce, then put it into smaller pots to keep it all hot while I reused the big pot to sterilize the jars and lids and then boil the full jars to seal the lids.

When I finished, it was around 11:00 at night, the kitchen was steamy and dirty, and I was a sweaty, frazzled woman. I had to make dinner simultaneously with canning, so things were extra-exciting. But in the end, I had nine pint jars of delicious applesauce that will keep for a year! I didn't add much sugar and no spices, so it would feature the flavor of the apples. The tartness will go well with meats, too. I can't wait to eat a pork chop with some of this smeared on top. Maybe someday if I feel ambitious I will make pierogi; they are super tasty with a little applesauce and sour cream.

Just recently RC realized we have another apple tree on the property, down near the creek, which is covered in apples. He only noticed it when the apples ripened and turned red. The tree is at least 20 feet tall and choked with brush and other vegetation growing closely all around. Like the other plants producing edible fruit down by the creek (blackberry, blueberry, salmonberry), it could benefit if I clear the area under the canopy and do some pruning. I see a lot of food-producing potential here!

No comments:

Post a Comment