Friday, August 23, 2013

Peepers

We got a couple of new chicks!

They are Welsummers, and are about two months old. They can't live in the coop for another month, so I set up a brooder in a plastic tub with a wire mesh top. I also constructed this mini chicken tractor you see in the pictures, so they can have some supervised outdoor time every day!

These little peepers are so cute. Sometimes I just sit there staring at them and space out completely. And every time they do anything (groom their feathers! Scratch the dirt! Perch on the roosting bar!) I squeal because they are just like chickens! But they're little babies! Eeeee!

Getting them is bittersweet because one of our hens, Felicity, was just killed. Right after Minerva managed to defy death, Felicity succumbed. But I suppose that is something I'll have to get used to living in a rural area. Meanwhile, I'll try to train the little ones as attack chickens, and maybe outfit them with spikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment